Friday, January 29, 2010

Raising and Racing


So tomorrow night is FiSHing for a Cure 2010 Caribbean Nights Gala. The goal is to raise money for FSH research and bring awareness to the disease. I agreed to be in the film this year. My message is pretty straight forward: The thing I love to do most (athletics) directly makes my condition worse. The one thing that keeps my soul alive, and if given the chance I would devote everything to, progress my weakness. And to hit it home... I am missing the part of my DNA that rebuilds muscle and makes me stronger and faster. What a contradiction.

To be honest I'm really not looking forward to seeing myself on a big screen in front of a ballroom of people. Filming was painless and it was fun working with the guys from Elliott Bay Productions. I'm excited to see how they put everyone's stories together. And again kind of anxious about my message coming across.....

On the athletic front my friend Andy and I are doing a duathlon in a few weeks. It's a sprint (1 mi run/11.5 mi bike/ 1 mi run).... needless to say Andy's doing the run. He is a state record breaker and putting the pressure on! We'll win hands down. : ) My legs are feeling really good and I'm super excited.

1 state record breaker + 1 cripple kid = a competitive age grouper......?

1 comment:

Jay said...

Hey Kalynn.

First of all... You did awesome in the video. I had to hold back my tears and guys aren't supposed to cry. It was moving.

Secondly, there can still be goals in life. My goal is to save as much money as I can and give it all to FSH research when I kick the bucket. We didn't want this to define our lives, but love it or hate it... It's us.